Going out for a walk
It is important to choose the right equipment for each situation, so that baby is safe and comfortable wherever you go, whatever the terrain, and to ensure that you are also at ease during your outings.
In the car
The car is the number one means of transport for baby!
It is important to use equipment that complies with current regulations (if baby is the youngest child, check that the seat used by his older brothers or sisters still meets current standards!)
Two systems exist for children under 8 years old:
- special "hard-shell" seats for newborns which are attached with the seatbelt, facing away from the front. This car seat can be used as soon as baby leaves the maternity ward, as it supports baby´s head and neck well. You can place it in the front seat on the passenger side, remembering to disable your car´s airbag function. This way you can always keep an eye on baby!
- carrier beds that are fastened to the seatbelt attachment on the back seat of the car. You must always make sure that your child is properly strapped into his carrier.
From 8-9 months:
- You can use a traditional car seat, which is attached on the back seat of the car (using the seatbelt). However, it is essential that your child stays strapped in his seat throughout the journey.
For an outing in the city, you will need a pram or pushchair. You have a lot of choice available to you, depending on your taste, needs and budget!
There are "two-in-one" models, which start out as prams so that baby is comfortable, and then convert into pushchairs so that baby can discover the world. There are also prams whose carrier section can be used in the car… So feel free to ask for advice from the specialists, and also find out the opinions of other parents!
You can also use a baby carrier. This system has the advantage of taking up little space (easy to transport) and means your hands are always free (to push the trolley when shopping, for example). What´s more, the closeness of your body helps create more intimate contact with your baby.
However, you should not forget that there are safety standard to be observed here too, and it is important to choose the right equipment for your child’s age.
Young infant carrier:
This first baby carrier can be used from the first month onwards (occasionally at the start), up to 7.75 kg, and is worn at the front.
Different positions are possible:
- the "cocoon" position, in which your baby is facing your chest, which is an ideal position for newborns
- the "discovery" position in which your baby is facing the road so that he can discover the world; this is suitable for slightly older babies who can hold their heads up well.
Older baby carrier:
This is worn on the back and can take a child up to 15 kilos (33 lb) in weight. This is practical for the first holidays in the mountains or for walks in the country, when you cannot take a pushchair!